Saturday, July 13, 2013

A little bit about myself

Well hello everyone! My name is Trisha. I am 26 years old from New York. I am a proud mother of my beautiful son Richard (4 yrs old) who was Diagnosed with Autism in December, 2012. 

I have had so many people ask me, Why I never got him diagnosed at an earlier stage. As much as I have read, many get tested at a younger age.  Richard is my one and only son, and as a first time mom, I have never seen anything that I never noticed or picked up on. You and I both know, Kids are pretty silly even as babies, So who would know? When my son was around 2, Is when I started noticing he has a speech delay. But I didn't think Autism, I thought just maybe he was a little behind. He's always done hand flapping since he was a baby, and I just thought it was really something some kids just do when they're so happy!. 

Every time I have ever questioned anything... I was always told "He's just a boy, He's just a child, He's just a kid" "He'll learn, they all learn at their own paste"  Richard is a very hyper but healthy and happy boy. I love him to death and nothing will ever change that. 

Maybe in the back of my mind, As long as he was Healthy and happy, I was happy. I decided to take him to the doctors when I have had more than 1 person ask me if he was Autistic, or what's wrong with him?.  It sort of started to get to me and then I started questioning my parenting wondering if I was just doing something wrong. So at the age of 4.. I took him, He was Diagnosed with Autism on December 11th, 2012. 

Did I cry? I did. Did I blame myself once in a while? I sure did. Have I ever looked at him completely differently? No I did not. He's Autistic, But he is still Richy to me and always will be. I see Autism, as something they are, something that's not a disease. He is in Pre-School now and receives great services. He has 5 days of Speech and 4 Days of Occupational Therapy. 

It's so important to stay positive, not only for your kid/s but for yourself too.  When I started doing my research on Autism, I told myself, This is my son, this is who he is, and it is my job as a parent, to help him progress, help him gain, and love him unconditionally. He may learn differently, but it is okay. He is Unique. He's my life. 

This blog I will be sharing any experience I personally have with my son in hoping to help anyone struggling, or just to relate to other's out there. Thank you for stopping in and reading, and I hope you stay with us to share our every day experience and journal posts of life every day. Stay blessed and Stay Positive.













No comments:

Post a Comment